The steps to guide participants in diaphragmatic breathing:
- Sit in a comfortable but upright position in your chair or on the ground.
- Plant your feet or hands firmly on the ground—push them into the ground.
- Gently clasp your hands together in front of your stomach, just below your belly button.
- Notice your breathing; the pace, the depth, etc.
- Take a slow deep breath in through your nose for 4 seconds.
- As you breathe in, grip your hands together—like your hands are trying to pull in opposite directions.
- Slowly breathe out through your mouth, releasing the air in a smooth, controlled flow for 4 seconds.
- As you breathe out, relax your hands and arms—notice the change in how your muscles feel.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 five times for the duration of the grounding exercise.
|Previous section: Simple grounding exercises||Foundations Manual home page||Next section: Square breathing|
Last modified: Friday, 7 April 2017, 3:16 PM